Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Take the challenge. Be thankful for your Health!

I’ve been talking to mom more often through this last round of Chemo. Let me just say that- CHEMO IS NASTY STUFF. There is a reason it kills cancer cells! I’m sure that you many of you know this but watching it first hand is difficult. Ever since I can remember my mom has always been a gal going and doing. Baking, serving, cleaning, lovin’! I don’t remember her being much of a TV watcher or just seeing her sitting around. She always had good health while I was growing up. There were a couple of things that sent her to the hospital but for the most part she was always there to take care of us.

I check in everyday and ask how she’s doing. She tells me its hard to explain. She says, “I I just feeeeel…. vulnerable and I don’t have an oomph”. Despite the fact that she feels like laying on the couch all day, she is still trying to go and do. She finished up my Recipe Book of Carver recipes. She organized her dresser today and plans to organize her hallway closet. She’s been reading the “Rumors of War” series, and was in the middle of reading the Sunday school lesson for next week when I called. What a trooper. What an example. With how sick she is, she is still going.

On a personal note- I’ve been struggling to get my exercise in for the day and as always I’m feeling the effect of my decisions to go another day without moving my body. While talking to my mom today she said, “BE THANKFUL FOR YOUR HEALTH.” I don’t think I’m really thankful for it. I seem to take it for granted. If I were thankful I think I would push myself and realize what I have while I’ve got it. Thanks mom. I’m going to get up early tomorrow morning and exercise, drink lots of water all day, and eat my fruit and veges!!! Take the challenge!!!! Do something to show you’re thankful while you can. I never imagined this happening to my mom but it did and even though she doesn’t have as many chances to mother me she keeps teaching with her beautiful example. I LOVE YOU MOM!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I visited with her this evening. She seemed happy, smiling, cheerful, excited, and cute as a bug!!! She had her pink pretty hat on and was taking her last 2 toxic pills!!!! Yeehaw! Hope they liked supper.
We all love and admire you, Chris. Chin up....miracles happen all around us. I am so thankful for that.
Love ya all.
Deb and Lar

Anonymous said...

It is very hard watching someone you love go through this, and hurting. She is a wonderful example to all!

Abby said...

It's so true, Kim. I feel like I've been doing some emotional chemotherapy lately, and it has taken a lot out of me but your post reminds me how lucky I am to have a healthy body despite the other struggles. I know I'm one of those that needs to appreciate my health as the amazing blessing it is.

Annette said...

Kim, you and your sisters are following the example of your mom. I appreciate your example of facing hard times with courage and faith. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. You have truly blessed the lives of those who see your example and learn by it. May the Lord bless you all during these trying times.