Monday, January 7, 2008

Chemo Round #2

Mom was set to have chemo this morning. She went in and had her blood work done and then saw Dr. Weeks. Her blood work came back good, with all the various test showing good levels of the things she needs. However, as she was waiting to receive results, the nurse came to inform her of a PROBLEM. The insurance coverage mom had was changed in September when my dad turned 65. He is now covered by medicare and mom is covered by United Health Care. Sooo.... the plan she is covered by doesn't have the Tri-City Cancer Center as a provider for chemo on their list. However, they didn't catch the mistake and the billing department is taking the blame. They are going to cover for the mistake but the bad news is that the drug AVASTIN will not be covered. It was never approved and the plan she has will not cover it. It is $11,000.00 per infusion (each IV chemo tx every 21 days). It is a new drug that helps rob the tumor of the blood supply it needs to survive. Dr. Weeks is going to send a letter to the insurance company and see if they will make an exception as they sometimes do for patients that really need the drug. Dad gave her a blessing last night so who knows what the news we got today means. Sometimes the Lord works in mysterious ways. Maybe we don't need the drug anymore, or maybe Kadlec is better with chemo. You never know, just learn to trust what you are given and don't fight it. (According to BOB CARVER) The symptoms mom was having before chemo are subsiding and her lungs sound good. The fluid doesn't seem to be building up as much and is not effecting her breathing and other previous problems as much. She will be set up for a CT scan after this round of chemo and has a mammogram set up for the 10th to make sure and rule out any breast problems. She will now start doing chemo at Kadlec Hospital in their outpatient facility. Hopefully things will go better there. We weren't to impressed with the service we had at the Cancer Center the first day.
Mom goes to the salon tomorrow to pick up her new wig and is enjoying her extra 2 days off of chemo. Her attitude is awesome and she even got around do do some cooking this weekend!
Oh and she is still taking "Dad's crazy cancer cure concoction," as I call it so that might be helping also.

The pictures below are from last Saturday. I went to moms to take down the Christmas stuff and we were being silly taking pictures with scarves on. She kept saying, "That's not fair, you have hair under yours." She insisted that her head was too round and that she looked like a little toad. I don't know about you, but I think she is a pretty dang cute little toad. I wouldn't trade her in for anything, I like toads! Especially round faced, grubbin cinnamon roll making toads!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a crazy amount of money for one treatment! What is your dads concoction as you put it?? If it helps hey great. I think she looks good!!

Sherri said...

Hey mom, I am so glad to hear that you are feeling a little better. I am thinking of you constantly and the people in my ward want to tell you that they are keeping you in their prayers. I bore my testimony on Sunday....wow, that was hard but I made it through! I love you and can't wait to come see you soon...don't know how soon is soon but we shall see. Keep your head up and smile today! Love you, Sherri

Anonymous said...

I love TOADS!

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Hello! I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and your sweet family. You are in our prayers.
Love Heather Loyd (Kelly's sister)

Abby said...

You all just touch my heart. I think you look wonderful. The wig looks great. Didn't see any toads, though - just a bright, glowing face. Thanks for sharing this part of your lives. If you ever decide to fast for your health, I would love to participate with you. Would you feel comfortable posting something like that?